A Staff Writer is a member of the editorial team, producing a high quantity of quality content (in the form of articles) for distribution on the Company’s core media platform, TheModCon website. We are currently recruiting for Contributors across the following news sections: US foreign policy; War on ISIL; and, 2016 US Presidential Election.
Department: Editorial Reports to: Section Editor Hours per week: 3 Location: Remote
Roles & responsibilities
- Develop content ideas related to foreign policy and the Company’s specific guiding vision for submission to, and the consideration of, the relevant Section Editor.
- Produce a minimum of four breaking news articles per week with a minimum word count of 250 words, with the weekly publication schedule to be set by the Section Editor.
- Research the most trending stories relevant to TheModCon’s editorial content focus at the time of writing to use as impetus for the respective article to be published, unless commissioned to cover specified subject matter, as communicated by the Section Editor.
- Proof read all articles thoroughly before submission to the Section Editor, checking for factual, spelling and grammar errors.
- Once approved by the Section Editor, publish the article on TheModCon’s main website, ensuring the correct use of SEO functions and formatting.
- Related work experience in the field of journalism and media.
- Knowledge of journalistic language and layouts.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite of software applications.
- Familiarity with WordPress site operation.
- Proficiency in Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiastic, creative and flexible approach to work.
- Able to be flexible in relation to the demands of the work set, with the ability to prioritize tasks to ensure deadlines are met.
- Able to take initiative and work well independently as well as within a team environment.
- Can handle confidential material with sensitivity, both when interacting with external and internal persons.
Dated 9 July 2015
Please note that as an innovative start-up all our positions are currently filled by ambitious and hard-working volunteers.