A Copy Editor is a permanent member of TheModCon’s editorial team, whose job it is to make sure that all articles posted on the site follow the editorial style of the publication; ensure all content is grammatically correct; and that all images included within articles adhere to the relevant policies set out by management.
Department: Editorial Reports to: Section Editor Hours per week: 3 Location: Remote
Roles & responsibilities
- Ensure articles assigned for review adhere to TheModCon’s editorial guidelines.
- Review articles for publication for grammatical and spelling mistakes and edit as necessary.
- Ensure content sourced from third parties within assigned articles has been cited appropriately.
- Assess images sourced by contributors, staff writers and section editors for the appropriate permissions for use by TheModCon.
- Analyze the strength of assigned articles in terms of search engine optimization.
- Report any and all changes as made as a result of the above responsibilities to the relevant Section Editor.
- Related work experience in the field of journalism and media.
- Knowledge of journalistic language and layouts.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite of software applications.
- Familiarity with Word Press site operation.
- Proficiency in Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Knowledge of intellectual property law.
- Knowledge of citation requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, with particular emphasis on grammar and spelling.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiastic, creative and flexible approach to work.
- Able to be flexible in relation to the demands of the work set, with the ability to prioritize tasks to ensure deadlines are met.
- Able to take initiative and work well independently as well as within a team environment.
- Can handle confidential material with sensitivity, both when interacting with external and internal persons.
Dated 9 July 2015
Please note that as an innovative start-up all our positions are currently filled by ambitious and hard-working volunteers.